FAQ: Nurseries

We proudly work with many early years childcare settings supporting both their permanent and temporary agency nursery staffing needs. We believe in building long-term relationships so we can understand and fulfil their requirements.

For Nurseries

Q: Why are the advantages of using Purple Dove Recruitment?

A: We often find that our nursery managers are too busy to trawl through tonnes of CV’s and applications to short list candidates. We take the work load off you and screen and vet all applications and usually send you a handful of suitable CV’s.

Q: What is the cost of hiring a candidate?

A: We use a flat rate of 10% of the candidate’s gross annual salary across all job roles. Please note we are VAT registered.

Q: What if it doesn’t work out and the candidate leaves after a few weeks?

A: We have an 8 week refund/rebate policy based on the following:

  • 100% refund if candidate leaves within first 2 weeks
  • 75% refund if candidate leaves between week 2 and week 4
  • 50% refund if candidate leaves between week 4 and week 6
  • 25% refund if candidate leaves between week 6 and week 8

We will try and find you a replacement if you prefer this.

For more information on our rebate please refer to the terms.

Q: What happens if I want to employ someone from outside the UK?

You will usually need a sponsor licence to employ someone to work for you from outside the UK. This includes citizens of the EU, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland who arrived in the UK after 31 December 2020. There is more information on cost and how the process works below but the new point system requires the applicant to earn a minimum of 70 points and be earning over £26,500 per annum.

More info:

For Nursery Candidates

Q: Do you need a qualification to work in a nursery?

A: In order to work in a nursery, you must hold a relevant qualification in childcare. Occasionally, there are unqualified roles but the expectation is that the candidate is willing to do training to achieve this whilst working.

The following link provides the check list for the accredited courses and qualifications. Unfortunately, qualifications in health and social care are not considered full and relevant.

More info:


Q: What is the DBS update service?

A: This is an online subscription service that lets you keep your standard and enhanced DBS certificates up-to-date. It also allows employers to check a certificate online, with your consent. There is an annual subscription of £13. You can also join the Update Service when you receive your DBS certificate, by using your certificate number. If you choose to do this, you must join the Update Service within 30 days of the ‘date of issue’ displayed on your certificate.

More info:


Q: Can I work in the UK after Brexit?

A: If you were living in the UK before 1 January 2021, you may continue to live and work there. However, you will need to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme for settled or pre-settled status if you haven’t already. You have until 30 June 2021 to do so. If you move to the UK on or after 1 January 2021, new rules apply. For further guidance please follow the link below:



Q: If I have lived outside the UK, will I need a police check from that country?

A: You have to apply for a criminal record check If you have lived for 12 months or more (whether continuously or in total) in the last 10 years, while aged 18 or over. The link below provides guidance and links to each individual country.

More info:


Q: How do you translate an overseas qualification to a UK one? A: Previously, qualifications were be translated by NARIC but since the 1st March, this has been taken over by www.enic.org.uk

Applications for recognition of overseas qualifications should now be sent for the attention of the Early Years Workforce Team using the contact the DfE form. Recognition will be granted where qualifications are comparable in scope, content and level to either the early years educator (EYE) qualifications criteria or the early years practitioner (EYP) qualifications criteria.

You should state which of the criteria – EYE or EYP – you want the qualification to be compared to.

There are literacy and numeracy requirements for level 3 early years educators.

If you trained as a teacher overseas, you may be able to obtain qualified teacher status (QTS). This would enable you to work in early years or in primary schools. For more information, read qualified teacher status (QTS): qualify to teach in England.

Q: Who provides relevant childcare courses?

A: There are many UK training providers that offer accredited and approved courses. Please note that some online courses are not considered full and relevant. The course must include an element of a work placement where an assessor/tutor visits the setting. You will need to have access to a real work environment, as you need to show competence in both knowledge and skills.

We have partnered up with The Childcare Company, who are approved by PACEY to provide several childcare courses. They will offer Purple Dove applicants 10% discount for their childcare courses.


Job Alerts
By submitting my details, I consent to receiving job alerts from Purple Dove to my email. Privacy Policy
Get in Touch

What our clients say